Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Refliection # 2

In most cases of research on language aquisition thoeries there is one underlying principal, which is the need for language contact. In other words, all theories elude to the fact that an individual needs to have someone to speak to. The behaviourist theory views imitation, and practice as the process for language aquisition. The nativist approach claims that language is innate, due to the language aquisition device that is located in our brain. This approach claims that we will learn language by the imput we recieve, and are LAD putting it all together for us. The functional approach sees language aquisition as one of creating meaning of the sounds one can make. In learning the languages I speak, the behavioral approach was used. I believed that my parents would say something, and I would just repeat it. I believe to some extent that we have some language device that is described in the nativist approach. We to some degree have the natural urge to communicate with others, why wouldn't we be built with some kind of langugae device? I believe that in many instances the interaction between parents and children, which fosters language development is far less in the United States than in other countries. I feel it is due to our fast pace society, there are not common sit down and eat at the dinner table, and discuss the days events.

1 comment:

Ines Rodriguez said...

I agree with you we do have some natural urge to communicate with others, seeing my 17 mnth old son I see that, he has his own language where he communicates what he wants or needs. For example before when he wanted to go outside he would bring me his shoes, so after saying the word 'shoes' to him over and over he knows the word shoes, or he knows bye bye means to leave so when he wants to go somewhere or someone is leaving he knows to waive and say bye bye. Everyone has in them to want to communicate whether it be English or whatever language that person may have.