Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Reflection # 6

As a translator for the past 5 years, I have had a great deal of opportunities to see how languages can differ in relating information. I remember recently translating for a presentor who only spoke English to a group of individuals who speak Spanish. At times throughout the presentation the speaker would say something that would take me longer to translate due to more word usage. I have found that when translating from English to Spanish that I need to use more words to translate what is being said. I know that I have to really be on top of my game and not skip a beat inorder to not get behind. Often times I find myself not giving literal translations, but trying to give the meaning or ideas being said. I really enjoy being able to give people the oppportunity to understand in their native language what is being said, even though at times it may be difficult. As a future educator I feel that recognizing and celebrating cultures should go beyond the holiday celebration. The way on should go about that can vary, but should be an important priority in our classroom. I would like to each student to share what they like about their culture, and why. I would make a concerted effort that each student learn about another culture through an research project. I would have the children go beyond learning about foods or holidays. I would give students the opportunity to share where there last name came from.

5 comments:

Carol said...

Alfonso el sabio,
Thanks for sharing your observations about being a translator. What is really interesting is translating from a language which is SOV (like German) into a romance tongue, or into English, which is mostly SVO. Often it is necessary to guess what the verb is going to be in German in order to translate it into Italian.

I have read that translating English into German, because of the precision of the tongue, requires 25% more text. You can see this reflected in written materials, and also in movies which are translated verbally; the actors have to speed up their German in order to be ready for the next line in English.

You presentation was very enjoyable and memorable! A tribute to an excellent communicator!
Carol

Clara P. said...

Dear Alfonso,
I enjoyed your post! Translating and interpreting are definitely two things that I wish I could do with more skill. It's so difficult for me, especially if it's a sensitive topic (like in a hospital) or maybe a very specific wording (like in a courtroom). Keep up the good work--I definitely have respect for what you do!
Claire

Erika said...

Alfonso, Es interesante saber que eres traductor, y es verdad cuando uno traduce del ingles al espanol, el uso del vocabulario es diferente. Ademas, como en espanol tenemos tantas palabras para describir una cosa, es mas extenso.
Dejame felicitarte por tu presentacion, estuvo muy interesante. Buena suerte en el futuro.
Erika

Erika said...

Hey guys, look at my blog for an invitation. Erika

Adilia La Nica said...

Loved your presentation!