Friday, June 8, 2007

Reflection # 3-Learning styles

"Seeing is believing", I have always been a visual learner for as long as I can remember. I have always need visual representation of new information. I can also consider myself a kinesthetic learner to some degree, which plays hand in hand with visuals representations. I can make more concrete connections with information by physically performing examples. As far as I can remember I don't recall taking a learning style inventory. As an educator it is important that we know what are the learning styles that exist among our students. I also think that it is important that we try to expose our students to a variety of learning styles. I can recall one occasion in which a parent was not sure to keep their child in a dual language program. Her concern was that they were not learning english fast enough. The model that the school is implementing is a 90/10. Its great that parents want their children to learn english, but it would be more beneficial that their children be bilingually proficient. Often times parents just need to be explained that second language aquistion proficiency is not achieved in a few years. Research shows that language proficiency is achieved in 4 to 7 years. As discussed in our reading there are different motivations for children learning a second language. It would be important to really make a connection with students and their parents to really understand their motivation. For example, the motivation for students to be culturally connected trough their home language.

No comments: